Saturday, June 21, 2008

Central day and life

We had our first cultural day this last weekend. It was fun, we got to see some Armenia art and learn some traditional dances. A bunch of s PST’s came into the main city and hung out. I think we will be able to do this every weekend with a new topic or trip. I can’t wait to go to Yerevan and see the museums and art exhibits.
The Host family is wonderful. I taught the whole family how to play Egyptian war. It was so much fun. My host father was so great and really got into. He’s a lot like my friend Liz who is vey competitive. I almost walked away with a bruised hand from when he went to slap one of the doubles. LOL. They said my face looked so scared. You would too if you had the man across from you jump out of his chair, hand flying through the air to get the cards. It was great.
My Host mom has been helping me with my language. She has huge patience to work with me. She cooks great. She made tolma again this week. It’s a lot like dolma but they you cabbage instead of grape leaves. YUM!!! I told her that she has to teach me how to make it before I leave.
We lost another PCT this week. One of the “funners” (50+) chose to leave. I guess he felt it was not as challenging for him and had an opportunity to go somewhere else. I wish him the best. I feel sorry for his host family. From what I hear the mom is really sad to see him go.
I was able to go on a good hick in our village. It was so pretty, even when we followed the calves up the mountain. LOL We hiked down to the river and visited another old church. ( I will post pictures later) The church has a lower level where there are a lot of pictures of Christ and other people. I watched the two younger boys go down and kiss the pictures and show respect. It was quite moving to see. I need to find out if it would be ok to take some paper and charcoal and get the prints from some of the stones. The craftsmanship is amazing.
Today I shared pictures of my family. I was the only one with a cowboy for a brother. It was great to try to explain to my host family. They got it! I also was picked on when my peers were able to practice asking questions. The main topic was whether I was going to amostastum hay e. ( to marry an Armenian or get married in Armenia.) I of course said no. Then my host mother and sister also asked whether I had a boyfriend back in the states. I told them che and that I was to busy. They said you are a good girl and should have a boyfriend. They laughed at me, I think in a loving way. It is not normal for a 24 year old girl here not to be either dating someone or married. All I said from there was I don’t know.
So I got a phone thinking I would be able to communicate with those of you in the states. Texts are really cheap for me and don’t get charged for incoming calls or texts. I learned this week that not everyone in the sates could send out text international. L Which I hope explains why I haven’t received any texts from you. Sigh. I can still send them out though.

No comments: